Man jailed for killing cat by dumping a pavement slab on it twice

A man has been jailed for three months after he killed a cat by dropping a pavement slab on its head twice.

Carl Dyson, 40, from Blackpool, wrapped his friend’s pet in a pink blanket before dumping the slab on its skull in a bid to put it out of its misery.

The animal was suffering from a cancerous tumour in the mouth and was severely underweight.

But instead of being taken to the vet, the cat was subjected to the heavy weight falling on its head.

A neighbour witnessed it happening on October 23, seeing the cat try to wriggle free before Dyson let go of the slab, Blackpool Magistrates’ Court heard.

It was still moving in the backyard of the address in Salthouse Avenue when Dyson dropped it again to ‘make doubly sure’.

The neighbour alerted the RSPCA who went to the property found ‘a plethora’ of traumatic injuries to the head of the black-and-white cat named Paddy.

Paul Ridehalgh, prosecuting, said: ‘In the vet’s opinion, the dropping or placing of concrete slabs is not an acceptable method of euthanasia and any responsible person would have taken the cat to the vets.’

When interviewed by the RSPCA, Dyson claimed he thought the cat had been injured in a road accident and he ‘panicked’.

Gary McAnulty, defending, said his client saw the cat for the first time at his friend’s address and found it in a ‘very poor state’.

The owner later confirmed he was going to seek treatment ‘at some point’, the solicitor said.

He added: ‘He has seen some blood in the kitchen and he thinks it has been hit by a car. He is concerned that his friend may get into trouble because the cat is in such a bedraggled state. What he does is very foolish.

‘He himself has had a cat in the past. It brought back memories of how his cat had suffered so he decided to put it out of its misery. He makes it doubly sure by dropping it on the cat’s head again.’

Mr McAnulty said Dyson thought the cat died immediately on the first impact but the sentencing magistrates disagreed.

Chair of the bench Ed Beaman said: ‘The cat was attempting to escape from a blanket and was not so ill as to be accepting of his fate.

‘There was evidence the cat was distressed while in the blanket prior to the first impact.

‘We believe it was still alive prior to the second impact and this was distressing to the cat and the witnesses.’

Dyson, from Belmont Avenue, pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to causing unnecessary suffering. He was also banned indefinitely from owning, keeping or caring for animals and was ordered to pay £85 prosecution costs.